Woodbridge is the oldest and most original community in New Jersey and was endowed with a royal charter on June 1, 1669 by King Charles II of England.
Ten years later, the community of Raritan (now Edison Township) was established and Woodbridge Township was registered as one of 104 communities under the Township Act of the state. The original boundary of the Wood Bridge was what is now known as the community, and parts of the township were merged to form the city of Edison, the first city in New Jersey with a population of more than 1,000 people. Ten years after its foundation, part of this township was given the name of its current counterpart and formed the town of Edgewood Township, which is now part of Middlesex County. This made the city the second largest city in the United States after New York.
There are a number of censuses - designated places and unincorporated communities in Woodbridge Township. Many of these places are listed by the US Census Bureau as "Census designated places" (CDPs), and several of the communities have their own postcodes. These communities are separate from the community that together make up Wood Bridge Township and the community of Edgewood Township in Middlesex County.
Turnpike Grover Cleveland is located in Woodbridge Township, south of the intersection of Wood Bridge Road and Route 9. Thomas Edison service stations are located on the north and south sides of Route 10, near the intersection with Route 1 and the New York and New Jersey Railroad.
The New Jersey Turnpike and Interstate 95 are accessible via Exit 11 with a 24-lane toll gate and pass Woodbridge Township at the intersection of Wood Bridge Road and Route 9. The city is served by the Metropark Transit Center, a Metro station on Route 10. NJ Transit offers bus service between the township and Newark, Newark Liberty and Jersey City, and between Newark and New York City. This Metropolis train station also offers access to Newark International Airport and Jersey State Fair. If you are traveling north in this township, you can enter Route 1 from the south side of the city and then turn back onto the highway as you drive north through it.
The Raritan River flows through the township and connects Woodbridge Township in the north with Sayreville inThe Garden State Parkway, which is being expanded by Exits 127 and 131. There is a Metropark Avenel that has limited service to the cities of Newark, Newark Liberty and Jersey City, as well as New York City and Newark International Airport.
After leaving Woodbridge the next morning, Washington continued his journey to New York City, stopping in Lafayette. He accompanied Governor Livingston to his home in New Jersey, which is located in the place currently occupied by the Knights of Columbus. On his journey north through Virginia, he reached New Hampshire and then Trenton, where he was greeted with a lavish reception under the Arc de Triomphe. Washington arrived in Washington, D.C. on the morning of July 4, 1776, at which time he was having lunch at his home in Washington before being transferred to New York City.
The famous son Woodbridge, James Parker, was born in 1714 and founded his house and printing house in Woodbridges in 1751. Dr. Moses Bloomfield served as a surgeon in Washington and the Continental Army during the Revolutionary War, and his son Joseph, who was born in the House around 1753, served in the U.S. Army in New York City and Washington, D.C., and was a member of the United States House of Representatives. The New American Magazine, the second of its kind to be published in the colony. Founded in 1758 by its first editor John F. Kennedy, it was printed in Wood Bridge.
Records documenting the inhabitants of the city of Woodbridge, New Jersey, from 1668 to 1875. The finds include records of local Quaker groups from the early years of their existence in Wood Bridge. There are also records of a local group of Quakers from the late 17th and early 18th centuries, dating back to the mid-18th century.
The most interesting tombstone is that of Captain Nathaniel Fitz-Randolph, who died of the wounds he suffered in the Battle of Springfield. Cross Keys Tavern, run by the French general Marquis de Lafayette during the Revolutionary War, was home to his family decades after the war ended. Lafayette visited the United States in the late 18th and early 19th centuries as part of a visit to the Wood Bridge.
The tavern was located on what was then Main Street near Perth's Amboy Avenue, and the Woodbridge Township Historic Preservation Commission has written about the house and its architecture. The house contains many original features, including a two-story, three-story bedroom, four bathrooms with a large living room and dining room. This famous old building still stands today, although it has moved several times over the years, most recently in the late 1990s and early 2000s. Washington opened his first visit to New York City, the capital of the day, in 1789 by stopping at the Cross Keys Tavern and lodging on the way to his inauguration.